The nurse led clinic provides an integrated stoma care service for patients who have a stoma or about to undergo surgery for a formation of a stoma.
The service is for patients registered with a GP in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.
The service provides four main activities for patients:
- Information and advice for patient show have a stoma or who may be about to undergo stoma forming surgery
- Treatment and management of stoma related complications
- Psychological support and assessment on requirement for referral
- Telephone advice, education and support for the local community and healthcare/social care services.
The Community Stoma Care service provides information and advice to those living with a stoma that is aimed at improving the quality of stoma care management and quality of life by providing:
- Information and advice before surgery
- Home visits to provide support and advice following discharge from hospital
- Regular follow up during the first year following surgery
- Treatment and Management of problematic stomas
- Advice on stoma management
- Assessment of parastomal hernias and belt fitting
- Psychological support
- Information on lifestyle, diet and skin care
- Information and teaching of colostomy irrigation
- Information and advice for patients with ileo anal pouches
- Assessment and management of patients with abdominal fistulas
- Annual reviews
- Updates on new products
The Stoma Care Service works in close partnership with colorectal, urological, gynaecological consultant and continence nurse specialists - as well as school nurses.
Clinical Specialist - Stoma Care: Jo Sica
The Stoma Care Service accepts direct referrals from healthcare professionals, patients and their carers. Referrals for children with a stoma are also accepted.
The Stoma Nurses liaise directly with GPs and other services for feedback/further treatment advice as required by individual circumstances.
Opening times and working days:
Clinic every Tuesday (by appointment only)
Specialist nurse works Monday-Friday 8am-4pm (excluding Bank Holidays)
The Continence Unit, Elsie Foley Suite
Teddington Memorial Hospital