We are a team of registered children’s nurses who work with parents and carers of children with acute, chronic, complex health or palliative care needs. The service encompasses Children’s Continuing Care, Children’s Community Nursing and Continence Care.
The team will manage children with a nursing need such as intravenous antibiotics, central line management, post-operative care, wound checks, home oxygen or vital signs monitoring e.g. blood pressure.
The service will also assess children in line with the national framework for children and young people’s continuing care (2016) and if eligible short break care (respite care) provided as appropriate.
From the age of four, children with a need for continence assessment and pad provision will also be managed by this service.
We aim to provide nursing care, support and education needed to enable parents and carers to manage their child’s condition at home. Where possible, we also work to enable early discharge from hospital and avoid hospital readmissions.
- children with acute and short-term conditions;
- children with long-term conditions;
- children with disabilities and complex conditions, including those requiring continuing care and neonates; and
- children with life-limiting and life-threatening illness, including those requiring palliative and end-of-life care.
Children and their families can find it easier to receive treatment at home, rather than attending hospital, for certain conditions.
Nurses consider the care and support needed by the wider family, including parents and carers.
The team is made up of Children’s Nurses with administrative support as follows:
- Sarah Glencrose, Clinical Service Manager
- Jess Donnelly, Team Leader
- Tamanna Begum, Children's Community Nurse
- Idil Abdisalam, Children's Community Nurse
- Lisa White, Team Administrator
Referrals are accepted for children and young people under the age of 18 with a Richmond GP, children visiting the borough can also be seen if appropriate.
Referrals are accepted from anyone, including healthcare professionals, educational services, social services, carers and families providing a pre-existing health condition has been diagnosed.
The team provide a service Monday to Friday from 8.30am – 4.30pm