Dietitian Veronica Mitchell's classic recipe for chicken soup uses the above principles to help with 'satiety' - the feeling of fullness.
Chicken & Corn Soup
Serves 4 – 6 as main or 8 as starter.
- 500g fresh, frozen or tinned sweet corn
- 3 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 can of cream styled corn (418g)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock either from cubes or homemade (add 1 chicken stock cube if homemade)
- ½ a cup of cooked barley
- 250g of broccoli florets, blanched
- 600g of chopped skinless cooked chicken
- 2 egg whites beaten lightly
- Heat a large non – stick saucepan over medium heat and cook the corn kernels, ginger, garlic and half the spring onions. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the creamed corn, soy sauce, barley and stock. Add the chicken.
- Reduce the heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the egg whites. Add the blanched broccoli florets.
- Serve the soup topped with remaining spring onions.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note – you can boil skinless chicken thighs or on the bone with the barley and reserve the liquid and the barley to use for the stock in the recipe.