Our Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Specialist Nurses provide a specialist nursing service to anyone living with MS within the London Borough of Richmond.
Two nurses work part-time and are based within our Community Neuro-Rehab Team, which includes physiotherapists, occupational therapists, a dietician, and speech and language therapists.
The nurses provide specialist therapeutic and practical support to people with MS, their families and carers. The MS Specialist Nurses provide an essential link between the patient and other health and social care professionals, and take a pivotal role in co-ordinating services in the community.
Richmond’s MS Specialist Nurses are based in Richmond Rehabilitation Unit.
They have specialist training in the management of multiple sclerosis and are linked into regional and national networks of the UK Multiple Sclerosis Specialist Nurse Association (UKMSSNA) to ensure an up to date knowledge of best practice in the field.
- Jenny Richardson, Multiple Sclerosis Nurse Specialist (MSNS) works Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday each week.
- Joanna Smith , Multiple Sclerosis Nurse Specialist (MSNS) works Monday, Thursday, Friday each week.
The MS Specialist Nurses provide:
- Support, advice and information for patients who have recently been diagnosed with MS
- Ongoing support for patients with MS and their carers via telephone or direct contact
- Specialist nursing assessment and advice on the management of MS, working closely with therapy colleagues within the Community Neuro-Rehab Team
- Education, Initiation and ongoing Management of Disease Modifying Therapies jointly with Prescribing Centres.
- Links between community and hospital services
- Case management for patients with complex needs
- Links to other services supporting people with MS, making referrals when required
- Education and training for health and social care professionals involved in MS.
Meet the team:
- Jenny Richardson - Multiple Nurse Sclerosis Specialist
- Joanna Smithl - Multiple Sclerosis Nurse Specialist
- Rachel Hurley-Love – MS Clinic Co-ordinator
- Christina Pettigrew - MS Administrator
- Wioletta Kironde - MS Administrator
- Kerstin Eikenberry - Volunteer Website editor
Visit the following webpages for details about how to get in touch with our: Richmond Community Neuro-Rehab service; or our Continence team (adults).
Information about home adaptations in Richmond can be found by visiting the London Borough of Richmond's website.
The MS Society Richmond group
- holds regular events for people with MS in Richmond as well as providing grants, transport, access to counselling and yoga.
- There is also a group for younger people with MS.
- The branch has a support officer who can provide personal support and assistance to anyone with MS. Visit the branch website or call 020 8542 1712 or 07905 099 080.
- runs a free, confidential helpline for anyone affected by MS, providing both information and emotional support. It is open Monday to Friday, 9am-9pm and available on 0808 800 8000 FREE or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
A wide range of useful information about MS can be found on the MS Society website, including information for the newly diagnosed, managing specific symptoms, exercise and MS, new drugs, applying for benefits, getting a Blue Badge and much more.
The MS Trust works to make a difference today for people living with MS by providing free, reliable information and by supporting the health professionals who work with them.
Find out more about their services and how you can get involved at http://www.mstrust.org.uk